Isaac's Birth Story




Isaac Louis, 7lb 15oz; 21.5in
Born at 3:06pm on March 31, 2015
40 +3

On March 30th I went to bed really hoping that Isaac would choose to be born soon.  I really was having a hard time being patient with God's timing even though I knew that was best. At 3:15am I got up to use the restroom and my water broke. I waited a bit to make sure that was what was going on then told Aaron we needed to head into the hospital.  Amniotic fluid is usually clear but mine was not so I was a bit concerned.

When we got to the hospital they put us in triage, monitored the baby and checked everything out. He had a bowel movement which accounted for the strange color fluid. The nurse assured me while not ideal this was not super uncommon and while he would most likely be absolutely fine, NICU would be present for his birth to make sure he was. The problem was that if he had ingested any if this it could cause an infection so they were on standby to suction him if needed.

We were moved to a delivery room and started fluids and pitocin which is pretty normal for me. My body does not like to labor on its own. Things were moving pretty slowly at this point and I was getting a bit frustrated.

3:15am water broke
5:20am dilated to 1+ and on monitors in triage
8:30am pitocin is at a 6 drip (started at 6:30am)
10:30am I think they checked me at this point and I was at a 3. Frustrated.

About 1:30 I was at a 4 and we ordered the epidural. I'm doing a lot of guessing and trying to remember because at this point it was a bit of a blur. I was in a lot of pain and the epidural was taking a long time to get there. I remember thinking I wanted to go home but also that this boy would be totally worth it. It was very difficult and while other labors had tough parts I never remember feeling so incredibly weak and strong at the same time. Aaron told me at one point that I didn't have to be tough which gave me the permission I needed to just be in the moment.

The first epidural did not take in a spot right by my bladder. I was still in a ton of pain and the anesthesiologist really was trying to help. They removed the first one and put in a second epidural. By this point I was ready to quit.  The pain switched to "your body finally knows what to do" pressure.  I also had a drop in blood pressure so I was a little loopy at this point. Aaron asked couple times if they had given me other meds. I also threw up once at this point. They also were very closely monitoring baby and telling me how to lay so I was nervous something had gone wrong with him.

I was a 4 before the epidural. Shortly after I was at a 6 and what felt like was minutes and in all practicality was probably only 15-20 minutes later I was at a 9. My doctor of course was in surgery and they couldn't reach her.

The on call doctor came in and was ready to go and I was ready to push. I knew as he got closer to coming out something wasn't quite right, I just didn't know what. The doctor was stretching places that shouldn't be stretched (I was actually nervous at this point she was doing an epistiotemy which I probably spelled wrong.). There were a couple times when they told me essentially you have to do this and Aaron said he remembered a couple times when I just went for it. Again at this point I wanted to give up. I hurt. Turns out Isaac was face up like Grace was. Fortunately unlike Grace I didn't need stitches. Once he was out I was shaken and crying. I remember feeling like although I did it, I didn't do it well or good enough or whatever. End if the day though I got him out.

This was a very emotional, painful and complicated (for me) delivery but seeing that boy made it worth every minute. They put him on my chest right after NICU checked him over (apparently mom counted 17 people in the room at one point between doctors, nurses and the NICU team).  He is beautiful and I am so thrilled God has given us another beautiful boy to raise.

Isaac means laughter and as our 5th kiddo it kind of made sense. Louis is after my grandpa on my dad's side. He was an amazing man and I hope this boy grows up to love the Lord as much as my grandpa did.

Pictures to come when I get home :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursdays 2015 #6

Homeschool Update

Life & Waiting