#HowIHandleIt - Allowance

#HowIHandleIt - Allowance

Currently (which I think is important to say because as seasons change, these kinds of things change as well), we do not do allowance and we do not pay for 99% of chores.  Kids help with the chores and do what they are able to do based on their ages and abilities.  Since we are a family, we don't pay them to participate in the home.  

One exception is that I will pay on occasion for something that needs to be done but isn't a normal chore to assign out if I just don't want to do it.  That could be something like cleaning out the van when it is extra dirty or having one of the girls put the boys laundry away.  Do I have to pay? Nope.  I can just assign it and expect it to be done, but they get excited about a little (and I mean a little!) bit of money so why not.  I also occasionally pay the girls for "baby sitting" - meaning they do their best to keep the boys under control upstairs while we do Bible study downstairs.  

There are times when our kids have gone above and beyond so we have given them money after the fact that they did not know was coming. For example after I had the C-section, I needed a lot of help mostly with Timothy because he was too heavy for me to pick up. Grace did not miss a beat helping me when Aaron wasn't here to get him into his car seat, in and out of his crib, and just generally chasing him around when I could not do it. After that season was mostly over we gave her some money for being so ridiculously helpful but she had no idea she was going to get it during the time when she was helping.

Maybe that'll change someday but since I already cover all their costs I don't pay them to live here :) They get money as presents for birthdays, for losing teeth, as a special reward, etc. We use those opportunities to talk about tithe, money management, savings, and so on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursdays 2015 #6

Homeschool Update

Life & Waiting