Heading Into The New Year: Thoughts on Babies


I've been meaning to sit and write this for awhile - mostly because starting in the last couple weeks I've been asked multiple times, randomly, if I was pregnant.  I'm not (at least not that I know of right now).  It makes me laugh though because this is the time of year we usually make our announcements - except for Isaac, little rebel.  One week I missed church because I was sick.  Only one person asked me if I was pregnant...apparently a bunch asked Aaron.  Frankly, this makes me think people are excited about our babies or wanting to giggle at us when we walk away - but I'm going to assume the former.

Here is why I write this, and I think I've addressed this before...some answers to common questions we get about our family...

...YES, we know how it happens.
...NO, we are not trying to beat my mother in law or anybody else.
...NO, we are not trying to have a bunch of kids.
...NO, I do not have insane patience...just ask my kids.
...NO, we ABSOLUTELY do not want our own TV show.
...NO, we do not regret any of them.
...NO, I don't think spacing them further out would have been better because then I wouldn't have THESE kids that God gave me.

Here's the deal - most of those questions frankly just hurt my feelings (except the patience one, that makes me think I look like I have it together!).  I was at the mall with just the boys and my mom the other day and she noticed the looks too.  She asked if I try to make eye contact or just avoid it.  Here's the deal - I try to make eye contact, and I try to make sure I am smiling.  Why?  Because I want people to know that I do not hate my life.  I love these kiddos and while I do not always have it all together, this is not a horrible drudgery.  I try to be in a position in my heart (and physically although three little people do not always make it possible) to answer questions.

I would LOVE to tell people about how my doctor said I would never have kids so each one is a blessing. I'd like to have a chance to tell them how surprised we were that we were going to have a set of twins.  I'd like to tell them how crazy our days are and how it can be so hard to get everyone ready to leave the house but it's so much fun watching them just be brothers and sisters.  I'd like to encourage them that if I can do this, they can do this.

My favorite though is to stop moms with lots of littles, especially twins, and tell them their babies are beautiful, it does get easier, and they are doing a great job.  (I make my speech short though because littles only have a little attention span and that momma has somewhere to be!).

So what am I saying?  I wish people would just celebrate and stop asking questions that make me feel like my babies aren't wanted, loved or treasured.   And the questions that make me feel like my husband and I are clearly idiots who don't know how to use birth control.  Children are a blessing.  End rant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursdays 2015 #6

Homeschool Update

Life & Waiting