New Year, Same Me


Almost sounds depressing doesn't it?  Really, it is just a testament that I have learned fairly well who I am, how I work and what suits me best.  What doesn't work is a list of all the things I'm going to change starting on some magic date that is never today.  So, I didn't write resolutions.  I didn't ponder over a word for the year.  I am just making some tweaks to my existence that will help me embrace who I am better and serve my family better. 

Here are some things I am changing...

1. Getting up at 6:30am to run.
I'm not a fan of mornings but I can only complain so long about how I need to run before something has to change.  So I am up and at it early. I am usually showered and downstairs by 7:45am so Aaron can take his turn running.  We also decided to get the boys up earlier to embrace their early bird mentality and start the day off calmly with them.  So then I get my turn to hang out with them...usually try to do my quiet time while they take turns sitting on my lap.

2. Embracing a Not-So-Quiet-Time
I used to get up at 7 or 7:30 to read my Bible before hopping in the shower.  I liked the quiet time I had to think and plan.  Now that is out the window.  I am reading the Bible on my phone instead of my physical Bible which I don't love, but I can balance a phone, notebook and pen (with two squirmy boys) but not my Bible too.  It is what it is and it gets me the time to focus on the Lord (and not dropping said boys).

3. Accountability
A friend and I text each other every Tuesday night (most Tuesday nights...I mean, we both have like 100 kids).  It gives us a chance to check in with each other, find out how best to pray for each other, and we both have someone to answer to if our goals start slacking.  It's been lovely and I really look forward to those conversations.

4. Systems
Ya'll know I love my systems.  As our family changes (and grows, and seasons of life are different) I have to be flexible with what works for me.  What works right now is putting laundry away on Tuesday nights.  It looks something like - throw two kids in the bath, put away all the boy's clothes, take two kids out.  Put two kids in the bath, put away all my clothes and Faith's clothes, take two boys out.  I am close enough that safety isn't an issue but it allows me to get some things done while they play.  It also removes me from the splash zone.

There's more - there is always more, but life right now is a good rhythm.  I am constantly reminded I don't have things all figured out, but I am doing my best and I'm good with that these days! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursdays 2015 #6

Homeschool Update

Life & Waiting