C-Section Recovery Days 1-6 at Home


I'll skip the recovery time at the hospital.  There was nausea, there was vomit, there was pain, there was trying to figure out how to maneuver.  It was lovely.  Lets just say come about 2am I'm not the best me I can be and I tend to get weepy. :)  They released me two days after having the baby although I had an option for a third day I didn't take.  I'll just start with the days at home.

Day 1 - I was released mid afternoon.  We filled prescriptions and I came home to shower and settle while Aaron picked the kids up from school.  It was a bit of a madhouse once they realized I was home and bedtime was a very long process.  That night I slept horribly.  I had a hard time getting in and out of bed and finding a comfortable position to sleep.  I ended up sleeping in my glider for most of the night.  Faith did about as well as expected.  She is lovely.

Day 2 - I got up and sat with the kiddos while they ate breakfast.  They went to school again today just so I could have a little time to acclimate, rest and heal.  It has been quiet.  I decided I should not talk to anyone within three hours of waking up because I get weepy and emotional.  It's a little ridiculous.  So today we have been just making some lists, working on some little projects and basically just resting.  As I get tired, I nap.  It's been delightful.  Aaron is going to pick the kids up this evening and take them to go get another Doe for our bunnies.  Then we will eat dinner that Aaron already started because he loves me.  He has been so great through this!

Day 3 - I woke up around 9am after being up A LOT last night with faith.  I came downstairs just as Aaron was calling everyone to the table for a hot breakfast.  All the kids were home today.  It was loud :)  I felt good this morning so we got quite a bit of stuff done around the house.  I was mainly supervising but helped with vacuuming and putting away laundry.  It was a pretty uneventful day.  Mom and Aunt Janet came by to see Faith and the kiddos.  At nap time they took a LONG nap and I finished a movie and took a nap.  It was lovely.  A friend brought dinner over so that was easy (and delicious!).  Toward the end of the night I started getting sore and emotional so that was fun.  I have to remember just because I feel good does not mean I should push hard just yet.

Day 4 - Faith slept like a CHAMP last night.  She was so fussy prior to bed time (and I was sore and emotional) so I geared up for a long night.  Around 11:30 or 12 I fed her and just rocked her and didn't try to rush things.  Finally I put her down and she slept for four hours.  I woke up every once in awhile to check on her, surprised she slept that much.  She ate around 4am and around 7:30am.  I slept well and in my bed for the most part so it was a nice, calm night.  My mom came over this morning with cinnamon rolls and to help with some chores (and with the kiddos) while Aaron is at church.  The girls spent the night at her house last night so they got a break from helping here and got some special attention :)  Always good to have them back though!  My mom is a rockstar and cleaned everything from the kitchen floor to the dining room curtains AND all the bathrooms.  It was lovely but again I struggle with the hormonal "I should be a able to do everything and I feel pathetic" nonsense.  Logically I know it is ok to let people bless us and to take it easy.  I also love knowing that having gone through this I'll be more empathetic and mindful for friends who are in a similar boat.

Day 5 - Last night was rough.  She did not sleep well, Aaron and I did not sleep well.  But that's ok.  All the kids went to school today so we sat around and caught up on rest.  I am physically feeling better.  My big emotional breakdown today was that she won't meet two of her Great Grandparents who I just absolutely loved.  After we got through that, we made some phone calls and got our lives in order.  I also managed to figure out my fees at the library and get them from $54.60 owed to a collection agency to $3.20 paid and taken care of!  Feeling pretty good.  I can tell I am healing pretty well because I can finally get in and out of my bed fairly easily and actually rest when Faith cooperates!

Day 6 - She slept great last night.  I'd say I got about as much sleep as I did toward the end of the pregnancy.  Can't complain!  Today was my first day home alone with all the kids.  I decided in advance we would do some school work just to give some structure to the day.  By the time we got done with breakfast and chores they were already pairing off and engrossed in random pretend play games so I did not interrupt.  We played all morning, had an "eat what you want" from a selection of healthy snacks lunch and then took a GREAT nap.  All of us slept (I think - big girls might not have).  I got a few random work things done (thank you Dad for the laptop!) and figured out how I am going to work out Grace's dentist appointment tomorrow.    I am physically feeling good although this binder is digging into my skin and I'm not enjoying that...but I'm still wearing it for protection for my incision and because it helps me feel pulled together. :) 

Anything else you want to know about this recovery process?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursdays 2015 #6

Homeschool Update

Life & Waiting