Life Update...Rabbits, Garden, Homeschool and More!


It has been awhile since I've sat in the stillness of my early morning office to think about where we are at right now.  We are finally seeing the end of eternal winter and hopeful for what spring has to offer.  In particular, I'm looking forward to spending quality time with the kiddos this summer before the new baby arrives, a new school year starts and life returns to crazy mode.  I'm contemplating how to do this well without overwhelming myself with the pressure to make it amazing

First things first, as of this time we have eight new additions to our family.  We bought rabbits!  It has been fun to learn about them and how to care for them.  I say as of this time very seriously because our two female breeders are pregnant and one is due to kindle (that's rabbit talk for give birth) any day now.  The other is due in a couple of weeks.  We are raising them for meat but we are learning a lot about daily chores, life and all the good things that come with caring for animals.  I will add some pictures of our rabbit set up when it stops raining.  We bought some cages and Aaron built a glorious frame from pallets that looks awesome. 

Immediately next to the rabbits is our garden spot.  This is new this year as well and we have tilled the soil (by we, I mean Aaron).  I did help plant our seed starts so we are watching for little sprouts so we can move them to the garden.  We have tomatoes, beans, zucchini, radish, swish chard, lettuce, broccoli, carrots and so much more. It could fail miserably...or we could eat the best salads and freshest produce available.  I'm hoping for the latter.

School is going well.  The twins are doing preschool and learning a letter each week.  We are three weeks from done with them.  I have a plan for their too old for preschool but not quite ready for our normal kindergarten year next year so I'm thankful for that.  Fortunately my planning mode brain has me prepared usually early, but it gets me in trouble because I get so excited to implement the plan that I forget a good break is worthwhile. 

The girls have five weeks of school left as well.  We have already finished history.  Abi is done with her math for the year, Grace is on her last chapter.  I love this time because our school days shorten as things get finished up.  They will both be doing some light math practice over the summer to keep the skills up.  Abi will be working on reading and spelling too.  Grace is going to spend time this summer working on writing paragraphs.  If it goes according to plan, it will be an easy way to focus on some of the lacking skills so we start next year strong. 

Personally, I am on a quest to hair and makeup like a grown up.  I have been trying out new products and methods to get my curls under control and be able to do more than my five minute face.  It's a process...and one that I am not particularly good at but I plan to stick  with it.  I also still have this gnawing feeling that God is calling me to something, but I am not sure what yet.  I'm trying to enjoy the tension of the process...but it's tension for a reason.  He is faithful though, so I will figure it out :)

Finally, Aaron and I watched a video awhile ago of a homesteader who had beautiful produce from her garden (Shaye Elliot).  She cooked amazing meals for every meal because with such luscious food, every meal should be a celebration.  We aren't quite there yet with the home grown produce, but we are trying to implement the celebration aspect of it.  That doesn't mean chocolate cake and balloons, it means purposeful cooking, delighting in the time together and good food.  It helps me if I pray over my family and what I'm doing as I prepare food.  I'm not a great cook - but I'll get there!

Life is good.  We have hit the "outdoors as much as possible" season of our life so we are rejoicing in the goodness of God in creation!

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful Thursdays 2015 #6

Homeschool Update

Life & Waiting